Sarasota, FL — Ron DeSantis returned to New College on August 18, as statewide anger continues about his 2023 statements at New College that DeSantis wanted Florida public universities to attract more out-of-state students.
Ron DeSantis, May 2023: "What a great opportunity to get a high-quality yet affordable education, even for people out of state" [17:30]
In 2023 DeSantis also said, "I know that there's a lot of parents around the country looking for schools that have a strong mission and where they think that their kids can get a good education." [0:18]
DeSantis and New College President Richard Corcoran said they were keeping out-of-state tuition low and lavishing money on New College.
Richard Corcoran, May 2023: "$50 million is more money than New College has ever received from the state… at least 20-plus years." [30:55]
Timestamps are from DeSantis's 5/15/2023 appearance, on the Florida Channel: thefloridachannel.org/videos/5-15-23-signing-of-education-legislation
New College alum Mike Sanderson, who has been tracking the spending, said "New College is worse off than before they started. Corcoran has wasted tens of millions of state money building himself lavish offices with a podcast studio and lounge while the biggest dorm building hasn't been fixed."
"$20 million was spent on hotels, millions more on athletic scholarships for students from around the world."
2023: DeSantis predicted low out-of-state tuition would appeal to out-of-state parents
In 2023, DeSantis specifically cited the out-of-state tuition and bragged it compared favorably to other states' in-state tuition:
"Look at some of the parents out of state. What is it, $16,000 for out-of-state tuition, $16,000, $17,000 for out-of-state tuition?" DeSantis said. [17:15] DeSantis stated, "What a great opportunity to get a high-quality yet affordable education, even for people out of state." [17:30]
DeSantis was planning a presidential run at the time. Florida out-of-state tuition was not raised until 2025.
Richard Corcoran: "$50 million is more money than New College has ever received from the state"
New College's interim president bragged that the state had given New College more money.
Corcoran said in May 2023, "The governor mentioned we got $35 million more this legislative session. They gave us $15 million before the legislative session. That $50 million is more money than New College has ever received from the state as far back as we can see, which is at least 20-plus years combined." [30:55]
In 2022, in his first term, DeSantis vetoed funds to renovate classrooms in the historic 1960s Pei complex, which had been ranked the highest-priority project in the entire State University System.
NCF First-Time-In-College students vs. recurring state appropriations, 2011-2025.
NCF applications, freshmen, SAT scores down
DeSantis also said, "The more they find out that they have an opportunity to send their kids to Sarasota and be able to visit here in this nice place, I think you're going to see a lot more applications coming through the door." [0:27]
Applications, freshmen, and test scores are all down below 2022 (see below).
Applications for New College went up in 2023, but were down in 2024 and 2025 relative to the previous 2022 high, and in 2025 New College had fewer First-Time-In-College students than 2022. (NCF admissions funnel data)
SAT scores are also down below 2022 and any year before, despite spending tens of millions more. (NCF SAT score data)
NCF SAT composite scores by metric, Fall 2019-Fall 2024. Source: NCF Office of Institutional Research & Assessment.
Mike Sanderson is a writer and computer programmer. A Florida native and New College graduate, Sanderson has engaged with the Board of Trustees and Board of Governors to scrutinize illegal spending and waste. mikesand.com.